About (pat) Ricia
Ricia has always been feral. She'll confess more later.
Scan down for temporary bio.
Overview of ‘Mrs Robinson Crusoe’, Hedge Row Dyeing -division
A long term on-going research and teachingproject intended to preserve and transfer knowledge of traditional techniques ofsmall scale wool fibre dyeing, specifically, using regionally occurring plantmaterials and low impact, minimal production cost systems.
Statement of objectives
To preserve, record, and transmit theknowledge of historic and innovative dye techniques. To experiment with available plant, tree, fungiand lichen ‘fast’ colour sources as wool fibre dye.
I intend to improve my environmental performanceby:
· Reducing the amount of water and electricity consumed during dyeingpractice without affecting the quality.
· Ethically disposing of spent ‘discharge’ dye baths, and compostresidual plant waste material.
· Improving plant source locations (when possible) by clearingaccumulated debris, litter and ‘fly tipping’ rubbish while ethically harvestinga portion of commonly occurring plant material.
· Collecting wild flower seed and when possible broadcasting seed on tofreshly disturbed earth at road way verge locations.
· Propagating a domestic ‘teaching dye garden’ from seeds and selectivelyforaged roots/cuttings of indigenous plants.
· Sourcing and dyeing British Wool Yarns produced in Britain.
· Sourcing and purchasing fleeces direct from shepherds ofrare breed sheep, or coloured fleeces from self-employed shearers.
· Continuing to expand my ability to identify regional dye plants and the locations of locally occurring plants that might be a natural dyesource. Minimisingthe need for car travel by collecting in conjunction with othererrands and harvesting as much as possible within walking distance.
· Using mineral salt mordant’s commonly used in food preparation andother common household products as modifiers (occasionally using rusty iron e.g.old horse shoes/broken iron bits rust solutions to soften ‘saddening’ darken colours).
This policy is subject to an annual reviewto ensure continual improvement across all endeavours and teachingmaterials.
Ricia is committed to preventing waste or pollution during activities, andwill comply with all applicable legislation and regulations.
See Mrs Robinson Crusoe’s ‘Ethical harvestdirective’, at leaflet menus.(proposed)
Communicated to all
This environmental policy is communicated toall that work with or come into contact with Mrs Robinson Crusoe so that eachindividual is made aware of the objectives outlined in this policy and theircooperation agreed.
The Owner/Educator Ricia, her PA and her apprentices are responsible forimplementing this environmental policy.
Mid Wiltshire – 23 September2012
(I'm working on a serious one with affiliations, past events, etc, whatever I manage to round up for the several hats that this web site will cover.)
But for now, here is this:
Golds / Browns / Scarlet
Navy Blue / Forest Green / Black
An Ocean Cruise
Sunrise River Raft Float
Expensive Designer Frames
High Performance Outdoor Wear
Italian Wools & Heavy Weight Linen
Proper Coffee (not French roast)
Ripe, Sun Warmed Berries
Expensive Lipstick & Perfume
Garlic & Oregano
Basil & Thyme
Golf & Bridge
Pot Holing / Caving
Regular Sound Sleep
The Company of People Who Refer to Pets as 'Gorgeous'
The Company of All of My Former Mothers-in-Law
New Shoes & a New (2 month's worth of rent) Purse
New Boots & a New-to-Me Antique Willow Basket
Big 'Countryside' Fair
Sweet Shop / Patisserie
Unattended Full Skip of Household Clearance (I forage! Remember?)
This is as honest as I can get and likely more to the point than the Bio to follow :^/